Story: Presbyterian Church
During the 1910s the Presbyterian Church, under the leadership of the Reverend John Laughton, began mission work with the Tūhoe people in the Urewera region. This included the opening of several native (Māori) schools. In 1918 the government supplied materials for this two-roomed school at Ruatāhuna. The use of wooden palings as cladding, rather than weatherboards, echoes traditional Māori architecture.
About this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, Sister Annie Henry Collection (PAColl-6098)
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.