Story: English

Albertland banner

Albertland banner

A special early English settlement was Albertland. In the years 1862–65 about 3,000 settlers arrived who were mainly Midlands nonconformists. Only about half made it to the intended settlement on the Kaipara Harbour. The silken banner, pictured here, was presented to the departing Albertlanders by the ladies of Nottingham and flown from the mast of the first ship, the Matilda Wattenbach. It features the Nottingham coat of arms.

About this item

Albertland and Districts Museum

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

How to cite this page:

Terry Hearn. 'English - Special groups', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 15-Nov-12
URL: http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/object/1927/albertland-banner