Page 6 – Special groups
The majority of English migrants to New Zealand came to New Zealand as families or as individuals. But there were also some English who settled as part of organised groups.
The foundation of Albertland, on the Kaipara Harbour, was intended to mark the bicentenary of the expulsion of the dissenting clergy from the Church of England, which followed the restoration of the monarchy in 1660. Between 1862 and 1865, 3,000 people arrived in New Zealand under this scheme, although less than half made it to Albertland. Most were English nonconformist farm labourers (who were members of a Protestant Church that disagreed with the Church of England), many from the Midlands, Yorkshire and Lancashire.
The railway contractor John Brogden & Son brought 2,172 English immigrants to New Zealand in 1872–73. They included 1,298 men who had been offered railway contracts in the colony. Most came from southern England.
The Emigrant and Colonists’ Aid Corporation was an association led by Colonel William Feilding, and promoted philanthropic and commercial aims. It acquired the Manchester block – 40,468 hectares in the Manawatū – from the New Zealand government in December 1871. Over 1,000 immigrants were settled in the area around Halcombe between 1874 and 1877.
About 1,000 ‘Clarionettes’ – members of the socialist Clarion Fellowship – came in five groups to New Zealand in 1900. They funded their own voyage, and once in New Zealand became active in founding the New Zealand Socialist Party.
Between 1949 and 1953, 593 children and teenagers were brought to New Zealand and placed with foster parents. This was a small part of a large-scale migration of children to parts of the British Empire.