Story: Waikato region
Queen’s Redoubt was built at Pōkeno as the base camp for the invasion of Waikato by government forces. This image, based on an 1863 drawing by Lieutenant H. S. Bates, shows the walls of the huge fort on top of a low hill in the middle distance, with soldiers’ tents in the foreground.
About this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Photolithograph by Henry Stratton Bates
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.