Story: Waikato region
Page 8 – Farming
In the 1860s and 1870s most Waikato farmers raised cattle and sheep, and grew root and grain crops. From 1882 refrigerated shipping allowed perishable goods to be sent to Britain, where there was an expanding market for butter and cheese. Would-be dairy farmers snapped up Waikato land because it was ideal for cows – flat or rolling – with high rainfall and sunshine hours, and mild winter temperatures that allowed grass to grow nearly all year round.
Electricity powered the machines that revolutionised the Waikato dairy industry. By 1921 the Horahora hydro dam on the Waikato River supplied electricity to dairy farms throughout the region. Four years later at least six dairy factories and 1,000 milking machines were run by electricity.
Many Waikato swamps had been drained by land companies in the 1800s, but drainage schemes continued into the 1900s. Topdressing of peat and alluvial soils with superphosphate and lime slowly improved pasture. The replacement of Shorthorn cattle by Ayrshire, Jersey, Holstein and Friesian breeds lifted the quality of dairy herds.
The New Zealand Co-operative Dairy Company
Small dairy factories were established in Waikato from the 1880s, but by 1910 there were two main companies – the New Zealand Dairy Association and the Waikato Co-operative Dairy Company, whose owner, William Goodfellow, was a strong supporter of mechanisation. Milking machines saved farmers time, letting them add to their herds and increase milk production. Farm cream separators eliminated the need to take milk to creameries for separation before factory processing. The Department of Agriculture worried that these new machines were unhygienic and that tainted dairy products would undermine New Zealand’s export market. Goodfellow educated his suppliers in the proper use of machinery, and managed to win the department over.
Speciality cheese pleases
In 2009 nearly half of the winners in the Cuisine Champions of Cheese Awards came from the Waikato region. In contrast to the large dairy factories, artisan cheesemakers use traditional labour-intensive methods to make gourmet cheeses. They include Over the Moon Dairy Company at Putaruru, Kaimai Cheese Company at Waharoa, Aroha Organic Goat Cheese near Te Aroha, Cloudy Mountain at Pirongia, Meyer Gouda Cheese in Hamilton and Albert Alferink’s Mercer Cheese Shop.
Goodfellow also advocated amalgamation of dairy companies, and in 1919 his Waikato Co-operative Dairy Company joined the New Zealand Dairy Association to form the New Zealand Co-operative Dairy Company – the largest in New Zealand.
Large dairy factories
From the 1920s lorries began collecting cream from farms, and in the 1950s tanker collection of whole milk started. Many small dairy factories closed, and large plants such as the New Zealand Co-operative Dairy Company factory at Te Rapa, Hamilton, opened.
Dairying in the 2000s
In the 1990s the New Zealand Co-operative Dairy Company was rebranded as New Zealand Dairy Group, and then joined the New Zealand Dairy Board and Kiwi Co-operative Dairies to form Fonterra Co-operative Group in 2001. In the early 2000s Fonterra dominated the dairy industry in Waikato and throughout New Zealand. Two other Waikato dairy companies were Tatua Co-operative Dairy Company, at Tatuanui, and Open Country Dairy at Waharoa. In June 2007 Waikato had over one million dairy cattle, around a fifth of the national herd, and was New Zealand’s main dairying region.
Intensive farming in Waikato has led to serious environmental damage. Nutrients from fertilisers and animal waste have seeped into waterways, encouraging growth of weeds and toxic algae. Stock have compacted soil, causing contaminated water to pond and run off into streams and lakes. Reducing pollution while maintaining farm profitability is a major challenge for the 21st century.
On hill country and in districts distant from dairy factories, sheep and cattle farming proved more profitable. In June 2007 there were approximately 300,000 beef cattle and over 700,000 sheep, over 6% and just under 2% of the national totals respectively. Deer, goat and pig farming were also significant.
From the 1950s Waikato thoroughbred horse studs, particularly those located between Hamilton and Cambridge, established a reputation for breeding champions. The notable staying power of these horses was attributed to high-quality Waikato pastures. Famous stud stallion Sir Tristram and double Olympic equestrian event winner Charisma both came from Waikato studs.
Waikato has been a wine-growing region since 1901, when vineyards were established near Te Kauwhata. In 2009 Vilagrad Wines at Ōhaupō, started in 1906, was the oldest surviving winery. Others included Cook’s Landing and Rongopai Wines at Te Kauwhata, Mystery Creek Wines at Ōhaupō and Judge Valley Vineyard at Te Awamutu.
Horticulture and crops
Asparagus, onions, blueberries, potatoes and melons were the main horticultural crops in 2009. Berry farms provided work for 36% of the region’s horticultural workers. Stone fruit, notably nectarines and peaches, and pipfruit, especially apples and pears, were also important crops.
The region also became known for growing maize to provide stock food. In the year to 30 June 2007, about 50,000 tonnes of maize were harvested – over a quarter of the total New Zealand crop.