Story: Shipbuilding

Wellington’s Jubilee dock (1st of 3)

Wellington’s Jubilee dock

After a false start, Wellington elected to install a floating dock, having towed it all the way from a UK shipyard in 1931. In December 1988 the port tugs Kupe, Toia and Ngahue shifted the Jubilee dock a few metres to nearby Aotea Quay, the first time it had moved in 57 years. It was then to be taken overseas, but on the first leg of the voyage, the old workhorse broke in two and sank in separate stages.

About this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Dominion Post Collection (PAColl-7327)
Reference: EP/1988/4712/19
Photograph by Martin Hunter

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Gavin McLean, 'Shipbuilding - The iron and steel era', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/5501/wellingtons-jubilee-dock (accessed 27 May 2017)

Story by Gavin McLean, published 12 Jun 2006, updated 20 Jul 2015