Story: East Coast places
East Cape lighthouse is sited at the most easterly point of the North Island, as British explorer James Cook surmised when he named the promontory. The lighthouse was first erected on nearby East Island (Whangaōkena) in 1900, but was moved to the mainland, due to land instability, in 1922. The station was automated in 1985.
About this item
Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Andy Palmer
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.