Story: Marlborough places

Seddon (1st of 2)

Seddon

Seddon, 25 kilometres south-east of Blenheim on State Highway 1, is the centre of the Awatere valley. For many years the valley was a pastoral district but since the 1990s it has  also been home to many vineyards. The township was established after the Starborough estate was bought in 1899 by the Liberal government of the day, led by Premier Richard Seddon, and subdivided into smaller farms for the closer settlement scheme.

About this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Janine Faulknor

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Marlborough places - Awatere valley', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/31867/seddon (accessed 29 April 2017)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 18 Jun 2015