Story: Presbyterian Church
The interior of St John’s in the City, Wellington, in 2011. The church was formed in 1853 after a group from the nearby 'Scotch Kirk' (St Andrews) broke away to form a Free Church congregation. Designed by architect Thomas Turnbull and opened in 1885, it was the third church on the Willis Street site. The internal spaces reflect the Presbyterian emphasis on the preaching of the word of God. The focal point of the church is the pulpit (behind the white cross) which is slightly raised to stress the authority of the message. Beneath it is the communion table and above it is the choir stalls and organ. The blue and white hues of the interior reflect the Scottish heritage of the church – these colours making up Scotland’s (St Andrew’s cross) flag.
Photograph taken courtesy of Saint John's in the City
About this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Emily Tutaki
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence