Story: Anglican Church

Community of the Sacred Name, Christchurch

Community of the Sacred Name, Christchurch

Several women who pioneered Anglican social services are shown here in 1896. They were all members of the household of the Community of the Sacred Name, the religious order caring for the poor and needy founded by Edith Mellish in 1893. They are (from left) Kate Ivens, Frances Torless, Miss Hookham, Rose Godfrey, Sybilla Maude (Nurse Maude), Mary Anne Vousden and Sister Edith Mellish. Seated in front is Alice Gifford. The Community of the Sacred Name convent in Christchurch's Barbadoes St was badly damaged in the September 2010 earthquake and was demolished after the February 2011 earthquake.

About this item

Community of the Sacred Name

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Allan K. Davidson, 'Anglican Church - Social services', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/27684/community-of-the-sacred-name-christchurch (accessed 28 April 2017)

Story by Allan K. Davidson, published 5 May 2011, reviewed & revised 16 Jan 2017