Story: Southland region
There was no road access to Milford Sound until the 1.2-kilometre Homer Tunnel pierced the mountains that divided the sound from the Hollyford Valley. This photograph was taken soon after work started, in 1935. The war interrupted work, and the tunnel was not completed until 1953.
About this item
Southland Museum and Art Gallery
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.