Story: Volcanic Plateau region
Whakarewarewa Forest was a government project which started in 1899, to provide timber for the upper North Island as stands of native timber were exhausted. These workers are posing either at the start or the finish of the day. Their range of outfits was characteristic of Māori of the time, and gives some of them an oddly contemporary look.
About this item
Permission of Rotorua Museum of Art and History Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.