Story: South Canterbury region

The Hermitage

The Hermitage

The first Hermitage accommodation house was built in 1885 to cater for affluent climbers and tourists. This was replaced by a larger building in 1914. When this burnt down in 1957, the present Hermitage was built. It remains one of New Zealand’s premier tourist hotels. There are also motels, chalets and a camping ground at Aoraki/Mt Cook.

About this item

The Hermitage

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

How to cite this page:

John Wilson. 'South Canterbury region - Mackenzie Country', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 14-Nov-12
URL: http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/11414/the-hermitage