Story: Presbyterian Church
The Scotch kirkNext
The Scotch kirk (church) on Wellington's Lambton Quay was the first Presbyterian church in New Zealand. It opened in January 1844, but the congregation had been founded four years earlier by the Reverend John McFarlane, who had come out to New Zealand with a group of Scottish settlers. Soon after arriving McFarlane held New Zealand's first Presbyterian service on the Petone foreshore. The church depicted here was later replaced by a larger edifice, but rising land values saw the congregation move from Lambton Quay to The Terrace in 1878, where they built a new church – St Andrew's.
St Andrew's was the only New Zealand congregation founded before the 1843 'Disruption', which split the Church of Scotland and created the Free Church. St Andrew's remained aligned with the Church of Scotland until 1874, when it joined the New Zealand church. Now known as St Andrew's on the Terrace, the congregation is well-known for its social activism and radical theology.