Story: Farm buildings

Previous

Cricklewood homestead

Cricklewood homestead

Cricklewood was the site of the first homestead on Albury Station in South Canterbury. James Preston’s watercolour from around 1875 shows the homestead sheltered by young pine trees. A woolshed and barn are in the foreground. Further away are dog kennels, and near them a gallows for hanging sheep carcasses killed for mutton and dog tucker.

About this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: A-123-004
Watercolour by James Preston

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

How to cite this page:

Robert Peden. 'Farm buildings - Uses and materials', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 14-Nov-12
URL: http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/18479/cricklewood-homestead