This information was published in 1966 in An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand, edited by A. H. McLintock. It has not been corrected and will not be updated.
Up-to-date information can be found elsewhere in Te Ara.
BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL WOMEN'S CLUBS
The Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs is a world-wide organisation consisting of women, employed in many different spheres, who cooperate for the common good. They are united in concerns of public welfare both in their local community and in the world at large. The New Zealand branch was formed in Wellington in 1939, mainly through the groups of the “Round Table” clubs of the Y.W.C.A.. Before long many new clubs had been formed, with the result that in 1946 the Business and Professional Women's Clubs became an independent organisation affiliated to the International Federation. In the early years of the movement, the social service of the clubs was mainly concerned with war service work; then, while still continuing to send parcels to overseas clubs, they began other projects. At the same time serious studies relating to citizenship and the status of women in New Zealand and other countries occupied a prominent place, with international affairs constantly to the fore. In short, the objects of these clubs are to awaken and encourage in business and professional women a realisation of their responsibilities in civic, national, and international affairs, to assist them to take an adequate part in the life of the community, in social and economic fields, and to foster understanding and cooperation between business and professional women in all parts of the world, without distinction of race, religion, or political belief.
Since its formation, the New Zealand Federation has been well represented at all international conferences. Cooperation with other women's organisations has always been very close, as is shown by the recent formation, in Wellington, of a “Joint Committee on Women and Employment” comprising members of this organisation, the Federation of University Women, and the Y.W.C.A., supported by the National Council of Women. In 1965 the membership total was approximately 1,500 and there were then 24 branches.
by Olive Rita Croker, M.A., Botanist, Wellington.