Story: Communes and communities
This is John Swan's 1929 plan for a new chapel at the Convent of the Sacred Heart in Island Bay, Wellington. The three-storey, French Gothic-style chapel opened in 1930. The Society of the Sacred Heart was founded in Paris, France, in 1800 to educate girls and young women. The Wellington convent was established in 1905, and a girls' secondary school opened in 1906. Later renamed Erskine College after Mother Erskine Stuart, a superior general of the order, it closed in 1985.