Story: East Coast region
One of the earliest churches on the East Coast was built by Ngāti Porou on the Waiapu River in the 1830s. This drawing of it was made by Whanganui missionary Richard Taylor after visiting in April 1839. At the time the church was sited in what was described to Taylor as the largest pā on the coast.
About this item
Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
Sepia and ink wash by Richard Taylor
Permission of the Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira must be obtained before any re-use of this image.