The tree fern or “silver fern” has also received recognition as New Zealand's official badge, although it does not enjoy statutory protection like the Southern Cross. It was originally adopted by the New Zealand Native Rugby Team which visited England in 1888 and has since formed part of the uniform (or badge) of successive representative sporting teams. From the early 1900s the fern leaf has been used as a trademark for meat and dairy exports. On 18 May 1908, to mark the attainment of Dominion status, the Secretary of State for Colonies approved the New Zealand Government's proposal to substitute a wreath of fern leaves for the laurel wreath on the Governor's Ensign. This usage, also, continued until about 1935. The fern leaf has been used as a distinguishing badge for New Zealand military formations, particularly during the Second World War, and was also used to mark the graves of New Zealand servicemen in overseas countries. In the most recent revision (1963) of the New Zealand Coat of Arms, two fern leaves provide a base for the supporters to stand upon. In both instances of official recognition the leaves are shown in green, not silver. The fern portrayed is Cyathea dealbata, but the emblem differs slightly from the original in that it is usually given a smaller stalk.