The shipyard William Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton, near Glasgow, was a major shareholder in the Union Steam Ship Company, and for 30 years built almost all its new ships. Dennys had a good name for its short-sea passenger ships and gave Union several cutting-edge vessels. Shown here being fitted out at Dennys in 1905, the 5,282-ton Maheno was a forerunner in the use of marine turbine engines. She made 17.25 knots on trials, but the machinery was not a success in service, and she had to be re-engined just before the First World War. The Maheno served as a hospital ship and as a trans-Tasman liner.
About this item
Museum of Wellington City and Sea
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.