Story: Ngā rōpū – Māori organisations

Mahunui council, 1902 (2nd of 2)

Mahunui council, 1902

This is the Māori council for the Mahunui district, which included the east and west coasts between the Clarence and Waitaki rivers in the South Island. Council members are: (back row) Pirini Ruru, Hone Pere, Teone Tini (all Little River); (second row) James Chas. Rickards (Timaru), H. Kahu and Tikao Wiri (Temuka), J. Horomona (Kaiapoi), Wepu Hopa (Taumutu), Teone Wātene (Rāpaki), T. E. Kirini (Kaiapoi); (front row) Taituha Hape (Chairman), Āpirana Ngata (Returning Officer).

About this item

Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 3 IMG0065

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

How to cite this page:

Ngapare Hopa. 'Ngā rōpū – Māori organisations - New Māori organisations, early 20th century', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 5-Mar-14
URL: http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/29683/mahunui-council-1902