Story: Epidemics

Quarantine station, 1911

Quarantine station, 1911

From the 1870s quarantine regulations were introduced in an attempt to prevent travellers bringing infectious diseases into New Zealand. People who were infected, or were suspected of being infected, were housed in quarantine stations until it was clear they were free of disease. This is the quarantine station on Ōtamahua (Quail Island) in Lyttelton Harbour. The building shown in the top left corner is a hut which was occupied by patients with leprosy.

About this item

Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 2, IMG0090

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Geoff Rice, 'Epidemics - Epidemics, pandemics and disease control', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/27777/quarantine-station-1911 (accessed 27 April 2017)

Story by Geoff Rice, published 5 May 2011