Story: Cars and the motor industry

First Todd Motors garage

First Todd Motors garage

The Todd brothers became major players in the New Zealand car assembly industry. This is their original garage where they sold cars at Heriot, in West Otago, in 1925. Charles Todd had become a fellmonger (animal-hide dealer) at Heriot in 1884 with his son Charles. In 1915 Charles junior moved to Dunedin and formed a stock and station agency, Todd Brothers. They soon opened up branches in many parts of Otago selling Ford cars and later trucks and tractors.

About this item

Private collection, Neil and June Penman

How to cite this page:

Eric Pawson. 'Cars and the motor industry - Car imports and the assembly industry', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 15-Nov-12
URL: http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22842/first-todd-motors-garage