Story: Department stores and shopping malls

Hillary Court

Hillary Court

Opened in 1954, Hillary Court in the Lower Hutt suburb of Naenae was New Zealand’s first pedestrianised shopping mall. Shops were built along a traffic-free street, which opened to a garden court (right), where people could sit and chat. A large car park (left) was built to accommodate shoppers’ cars. The post-office clock tower provides a strong landmark element in an otherwise horizontal streetscape.

About this item

Hutt City Libraries, Heritage Centre Collection

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Helen Laurenson, 'Department stores and shopping malls - The rise of shopping malls', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/22216/hillary-court (accessed 29 March 2017)

Story by Helen Laurenson, published 11 Mar 2010