Story: Mental health services
Page 4 – To psychiatric hospitals, 1940s to 1960s
From the 1950s new drugs became available and were widely used to treat psychosis, depression, anxiety and mania. These were supplemented by psychological treatments such as individual or group psychotherapy. As more effective treatments for mental illness were introduced, patients became more willing to enter mental hospitals voluntarily. In 1935–39, 22.4% of patients were voluntary. In 1955–59, when the first wave of new drugs became available, 47.5% of admissions were voluntary. By 1960–64 this had grown to 71.4%.
These developments, and the introduction in 1939 of free treatment in state mental hospitals, transformed psychiatric hospitals, as they were known from the 1950s. Patients’ behaviour could be stabilised, and they could often be discharged from hospital much sooner then in the past. This, however, created a ‘revolving door’ pattern of re-admission and trial leave.
In 1942 a major earthquake forced the evacuation of 800 patients from Porirua Hospital. Many were temporarily transferred to the country’s best-known tourist hotels: Chateau Tongariro, at National Park, and Wairakei Hostel near Taupō.
The Health Amendment Act 1947 established a Division of Mental Hygiene within the Health Department, providing greater integration of mental health with broader health services. The Mental Health Act 1969 simplified the process of committing patients to mental hospitals and recognised new trends in community care such as clinics and hostels.
Reforming the institutions
Despite the growing importance of community care, most mentally ill people were still treated at large specialist hospitals. In 1969 New Zealand’s 11 psychiatric hospitals and four psychopaedic hospitals (for intellectually handicapped people) represented 43% of public hospital beds and 37% of all hospital beds. As these hospitals came to be seen as therapeutic communities, they were equipped with halls, libraries, canteens, chapels and swimming pools.
From the 1940s new types of professional staff, such as social workers and occupational therapists, were employed to prepare and support patients for life and work outside, and to liaise with community groups. However, until the late 1960s able-bodied patients were still encouraged to work daily in the hospital grounds and buildings. This physical activity gave them stimulation and relief from boredom, but also provided the constantly overcrowded and underfunded facilities with a large labour pool for basic maintenance.
The eternal now
Renowned author Janet Frame drew on her experience in mental institutions in several of her books, both fictional and autobiographical:‘There was a personal, geographical, even linguistic exclusiveness in this community of the insane who yet had no legal or personal external identity – no clothes of their own to wear, no handbags, no purses, no possessions but a temporary bed to sleep in with a locker beside it, and a room to sit in and stare, called a dayroom. Many patients confined in other wards of Seacliff had no name, only a nickname, no past, no future, only an imprisoned Now.’1
Short- and long-term patients
A growing gap developed between short-term psychiatric patients and those who had lost outside links and established a home in their institution. The first group were cared for individually in ‘front’ wards, while the remaining patients were managed as efficiently as limited resources allowed. Internationally renowned author Janet Frame was a psychiatric patient in the 1940s and 1950s, and in her writing she vividly described the differences between front and back wards, and newer and older institutions.