North German Missionary Society
In July 1843 four Lutheran missionaries arrived at Nelson. J. F. H. Wohlers settled on Ruapuke Island in Foveaux Strait in 1844, while J. F. Riemenschneider established a station at Motokaramu (Mokau) in 1844, moving to Warea (Taranaki) in 1846. As little financial support was sent, these two and several others who came to assist them later joined other missions.
The Rev. James Duncan of the Reformed Church of Scotland was sent as a missionary to the Manawatu district in 1844. A small mission was maintained there and in the Rangitikei district until 1894. In 1895 a new mission was commenced at Taupo and, later, work was undertaken at Taumarunui, Nuhaka, and in the Urewera.
The census reports show that most of the other Christian denominations are today engaged in mission work among the Maoris.
by Nancy Gaynor Falkner, M.A., DIP.N.Z.L.S., formerly Research Assistant, Internal Affairs Department, Wellington.
- The History of the Church Missionary Society in New Zealand, Stock, E. (1935)
- The Life and Times of Bishop Pompallier, Keys, L. (1957)
- Sketch of the Work of the Catholic Church for the Last Half Century in the Archdiocese of Wellington (1887)
- Proceedings 1941—, Wesley Historical Society.